The other day “Image of the Invisible” by Thrice came up in my shuffle, and I started thinking about what a great album opener it is. With its anthemic lyrics and big sound and energy, it perfectly pumps you up and gets you going. I started thinking about what I like about that style of opening track. I’m not talking about the opening teaser intro track. I’m not even talking about a great track that happens to be #1 on the album order. I’m talking about an opening track that’s dripping with energy and saying, “Get pumped up, let’s go, because this is gonna be an awesome ride!”
You wouldn’t want a whole album that sounds like that, and you might even get tired of that song if you listen to it too much, but it’s a fantastic way to roar out of the gate. So I decided to come up with a list of the my 10 favorite killer opening tracks. This is a playlist for getting pumped up if I ever saw one, especially the last three… oh yeah!
10. Rebirthing – Skillet – Comatose
9. Sigh No More – Mumford & Songs – Sigh No More
8. Lonely Nation – Switchfoot – Nothing Is Sound
7. All The World Is Mad – Thrice – Beggars
6. Supertones Strike Back – The O.C. Supertones
5. Destroyer – Project 86 – Picket Fence Cartel
4. All My Balloons – Children 18:3 – Children 18:3
3. The Spy Hunter – Project 86 – Songs To Burn Your Bridges By
2. Image of the Invisible – Thrice – Vhiessu
1. Torches Together – mewithoutYou – Catch For Us The Foxes
What are some of your favorite opening tracks?